Wednesday, April 26, 2006

Yeah Yeah Yeahs at The Paramount/ Seattle

This turned out to be a case of seeing the band live making me like the albums a little more. Not sure what I expected, but I did arrive hesitant that Karen O would pull some aloof hipster-mod attitude and that the band would be kinda bitchy. Why did I think this? I dunno, don't they look kinda bitchy to you?

Anyway, I was totally surprised to find the opposite. Karen O screamed and bounced her little ass off and though she spoke little, seemed generally happy and appreciative to be a rock star. I'm sure through her performance she encouraged all the teenage females in the audience to, I dunno, feel better about themselves or something, which is great. I just thought she is really good at what she does.

Something I was looking forward to is discovering how the guitarist was going to handle all the big sounds on the album. They did have a fourth musician who stepped in on bass, acoustic guitar, and keyboards on a few songs, but they used him surprisingly sparingly. Instead of relying on the fourth guy, the YYYs guitarist turned on his I'm-a-whiz-with-effects-pedals switch and cranked out the sounds himself. Sure, there was some sampling going on in there - both fed through a pedal sampler that he played live, and in the case of "Y Control" a pre-rendered sample - but he was still a blur of activity running around stomping on pedals and twisting knobs.

Fun show.

2 Comments:

Blogger Schmubb said...

I'm with you. I haven't seen YYY, but I got the impression that part of their image was being aloof. If I get the chance I will go see them now.

Tell me, being in Seattle, is there just too many good shows to go to? I know that in Dallas, we get people on their way to Austin and even then, only sometimes.

9:17 AM  
Blogger Rob said...

Yeah, Seattle pretty much gets it all. There's always a show worth seeing around here, but since I'm old and lame, I don't go to all that many.

Another nice thing is that all the great venues are very close to home for us. Seattle's not all that big, so walking a few blocks to the Paramount keeps things nice and drinky...I mean easy.

12:42 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home