Monday, February 06, 2006

Further Critical Mass Escalation

I think NYC Critcial Masses are getting out of hand.

In their fervor to curtail the demonstration, two scooter cops collide and have their injuries tended to by a cyclist.

As far as my thoughts on the cyclists' role in this matter, I've blogged about my dubious feelings before.

Still, some more thoughts:
(1) Once in Boston I was cut off and honestly nearly killed by a driver who floored it across an intersection to take a left turn in front of me. I ended up crashing in my attempt avoid getting t-boned. I got a really good look at the tread of the car's rear tire before hitting the pavement. A cop standing on the corner saw the whole thing. The car had stopped, but after I stood up, the driver took off. I shuffled over to the sidewalk and the cop asked, without concern, if I was ok. A little shaken, I said that I wasn't sure. He started to walk away. I stopped him and asked him what he was going to do - my cell phone was broken, my tire pump had bent in half, and there was no way yet to tell if my bike was damaged - let alone if I was injured. He looked at me and said, "I thought you said you were ok". And that was that.


(2) Another thought: A friend who stopped off for a visit during a bike trip up the west coast observed one morning that we could likely fit every bike in the city in a two block area where maybe 20 cars were parked. Seattle's a city full of environmental proponents who drive single occupancy vehicles to work and vote against mass transit systems. Getting just 25% of these vehicles off the roads would be a vast improvement.

2 Comments:

Blogger Ash said...

And what exactly were the charges against the cyclists? It seems like they didn't do anything except follow the rules of the road.

12:17 PM  
Blogger Rob said...

In the case of Critical Mass cyclists are often cited for not being to the right of the lane (they usually ride in a group that overtakes the lane entirely), or are arrested for causing an obstruction, etc.

2:33 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home