Thursday, February 09, 2006

"For He is the Kwisatz Haderach"

Just received my Dune: Extended Edition DVD from Amazon, and I'm happy as a Guild Navigator in a spice juice hot tub.

Of course, only buy this for the David Lynch cut theatrical version and the extras (which I have't watched yet and can't vouch for). The extended version was hobbled together in an attempt to explain the story via lengthy, tedious, ridiculous voice-overs and they destroy the movie. Lynch took an Alan Smithee on that one. The DVD includes both versions.





Granted, when I first watched this as a kid, I had no idea what was happening, but I wore out our VHS tape just the same. Even then I knew there was something creepy, sexual, and really cool going on that I would never forget - as evidenced by the fact that often I drop Dune quotes like lyrical flow (much to J's delight), and I've had entire email conversations with my buddy Seamus using nothing but references to the film. When Seamus and I lived together he hung a banner across our door that read, "God created Arrakis to train the faithful". Indeed, Muad'Dib.

I saw a stillsuit from the film on display at Seattle's Science Fiction Museum, and yep, I still want one.

On that note, I leave you with the fan-created Spice Opera, one of the dumbest things I've seen on the nets to date.

PS: Did anyone know that Alicia Witt played Alia? Damn.

1 Comments:

Blogger Ash said...

I remember watching that movie with you when I was 3 ft nothing, and barely considered a third grader. Still one of my favorites, even more so now since I understand the story line instead of just watching cool fight scenes and rattling off memorized lines.

4:36 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home